I will be walking you through the steps that I took in order to receive benefits for the:
A brief story about my situation
or
scroll down to Veteran's Administation Benefits Process
Veteran's Administration (VA) Benefits Website is
http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/
The following are steps that I took in order to receive benefits/services for my father-in-law with the
http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/
The following are steps that I took in order to receive benefits/services for my father-in-law with the
Veteran's Administration:
1) I contacted the Veterans Administration locations and numbers are at
http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/division_flsh.asp?dnum=3.
2) Informed them of his change of address, and forward checks to a new address. This is assuming that you/your parents no longer live at their own home, and have moved in with you or that you are now handling their finances.
http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/division_flsh.asp?dnum=3.
2) Informed them of his change of address, and forward checks to a new address. This is assuming that you/your parents no longer live at their own home, and have moved in with you or that you are now handling their finances.
3) Asked them to refer me to a case worker that would help me through most of the steps. It is more convenient to go to a local Veteran's Administration office, but I received more benefits going to the main location.
4) Found out from the case worker as to what benefits the veteran is entitled to. My father-in-law was able to get the following free of charge from the Veteran's Administration: medical visits, eye exams, prescription glasses, a custom wheelchair for him (since he had Parkinson's and could not sit up on a regular wheelchair), medical prescriptions filled; a chair lift that would take him from the first floor to the second floor when he lived in his condo. There were people at the VA that informed me that their electric wheelchair was given to them by VA. I am certain that there are other items available for the Veterans, but they didn't voluntarily tell me what I would be able to get. I needed to ask them, if they provided an item/service. The benefits site for the Veteran's Administration is
5) Since we are dealing with the Veterans Administration, it took a long amount of time to receive the benefits (doctor's appointments, medical equipment...). When it comes to doctor's appointments, it was a good idea to make an appointment at my closest Veteran's Administration outpatient clinic which can be found on
6) The only thing I was able to get from the VA within a timely manner was his monthly prescriptions filled free of charge. The VA has website for filling prescriptions, but you must have a HealtheVet account the page to register for the service is
If you already have a MyHealtheVet account their VA prescriptions page is
You must be logged in to access the VA prescriptions page.
7) In order to receive benefits/services without having to wait for a month(s), I contacted Social Security. If you do not have Medicare you could apply 3 months before the age of 65 on
call 1-800-772-1213 or go to your closest office which can be found at
8) I found out the benefits that he was entitled to. Medicare's frequently asked questions can be found at
If you have any questions, you could also search on the official government site for Medicare on
9) Find out the companies that accept Medicare
and the types of services they provide. The smaller pharmacies are more helpful regarding what they will able to bill to Medicare/MediCal. I was able to get incontinence supplies free of charge from a local store that sold medical equipment. The store is usually very happy to tell you what you will be able to get from Medicare/MediCal, because they'll be able to bill Medicare/MediCal for the items that you are in need of. A prescription was needed for certain items. I will go into further detail regarding MediCal.
10) There was a nurse that would come on a regular basis to check on my father-in-law to see how he was doing free of charge.
11) There was also a physical therapist that came to the house. That also came free of charge.
12) Since he had additional income from the Veteran's Administration, he did not qualify for MediCal.
The following are steps that I took for my Mother
that had Medicare, MediCal/Medicaid and
Veteran's Administration benefits,
since my Father was in the navy:
that had Medicare, MediCal/Medicaid and
Veteran's Administration benefits,
since my Father was in the navy:
1) Contacted Social Security regarding her benefits.
2) Since I went to the Social Security Administration office without my Mother, I needed more than my Power of Attorney. I filled out the Authorization for the Social Security Administration to Release Social Security Number Verification
3) I also needed to provide them with an Appointment of Representative Form
4) Since she was only receiving social security checks, she was entitled to MediCal
The advantage of having MediCal was that it would pay for whatever Medicare did not pay for. Since I live in California I contacted MediCal. Medicaid for other states is on
The advantage of having MediCal was that it would pay for whatever Medicare did not pay for. Since I live in California I contacted MediCal. Medicaid for other states is on
5) Fill out those numerous forms for MediCal/Medicaid. There are certain states that allow you to apply online. You will find that it will save you a lot of time if you have all the forms on the date of your appointment with your MediCal/Medicaid case worker.
6) Fortunately, Social Security and MediCal paid for almost everything. It is a good idea to apply for Medicaid, when you know that your medical expenses are no longer affordable.
7) Since my Mom was the spouse of a Veteran, I did not know that she also had benefits. She was entitled to free medication. I had already paid for a lot of her medication, by the time I found out that she was entitled to free medication. I gave up trying to get reimbursed by the government. My Mother's doctor was the person that told me of numerous benefits that she was entitled to. The pharmacist informed me that Medicare and MediCal pays for a percentage of the medication.
It is best to know what you want or need and to ask that government agency if that item is covered by the Veteran's Administration, Social Security and Medicaid benefits are. Unfortunately, they did not let me know what my Mom and In-law's benefits were. I had to ask if they covered certain items or services, before they would tell me that it is one of their benefits.
A good idea is to ask your doctor/doctor's office/local medical equipment store/pharmacy as to what is covered by the Veteran's Administration, Social Security and Medicaid. There are senior citizens that are provided with a live-in caregiver. I was only able to have a nurse and physical therapist that came once a week for my Mom and Father-in-law.
You'll be able to see the helpful items that I purchased for my Mother and/or In-laws and other helpful sites on www.filipinasinger.com/handicap.
You'll be able to see the helpful items that I purchased for my Mother and/or In-laws and other helpful sites on www.filipinasinger.com/handicap.
The following is in regards to Dyshidrotic Dermatitis/Eczema.
No comments:
Post a Comment